For the first time in recorded internet history, we're making available the attendance data for the largest theme park in China. Mainland China's only Disney resort and largest theme park, by both recorded attendance and size of investment, Shanghai Disney Resort is the premier theme park or resort benchmark in China.
The report includes:
- The annual attendance for Disney Shanghai in 2018, which is remarkably close to their annual targets;
- Seasonality in the form of a daily visitation chart, enabling a clear view of the peaks;
- Design day calculations;
- Average length of stay information and its distribution;
- Time of arrival information and its distribution over the day;
- Visitor origin data, broken down by province and province-level city;
- Visitor demographics such as gender, age groups, income level, to name a few.
This data, which was mined through mobile phone location-based services, wifi, and GPS, paints the most comprehensive picture available yet, anywhere, for daily attendance characteristics and visitor profile of park visitors.
The results are of interest to anyone following and analyzing Disney, or those planning attractions and resorts in China.
- Disney Shanghai's numbers are remarkably in line with those set for targets by the park.
- There are some surprising results. For example, the typical design day for Shanghai Disney is well below the 0.7% standard used for planning of global theme park attractions, with seasonal peaks well-distributed throughout the year.
- Lengths of stay are quite high, and much higher than the 5-6 hours that are typically considered the industry average.
- Visitor origin data are perhaps surprising, with no real single majority of visitors from any single province. This is in contrast to most local theme parks, even including Disneyland in Anaheim, where a majority of visitors are derived from the adjacent market.
- Demographic information paints an interesting result as well, with a majority of female (versus male) visitors, in line with similar trends at the Tokyo Disney Resort.
This data is not directly from Disney Shanghai. Data was obtained from China-based third-party data mining companies, using location services tracking, wifi, and GPS, combined with big data extrapolation techniques to obtain a remarkably accurate picture of visitor flows and demographics.