For the first time in recorded internet history, we're making available the attendance data for the second largest theme park resort in China. The largest and most successful theme park operator in China outside of Disney, the Chimelong brand's two resorts are based in Guangdong Province. The newer, and larger of the two, is reflected here.
The report includes:
- The annual attendance for Chimelong Ocean Kingdom in 2018;
- Seasonality in the form of a daily visitation chart, enabling a clear view of the peaks;
- Design day calculations;
- Average length of stay information and its distribution;
- Time of arrival information and its distribution over the day;
- Visitor origin data, broken down by province and province-level city;
- Visitor demographics such as gender, age groups, income level, to name a few.
This data, which was mined through mobile phone location-based services, wifi, and GPS, paints the most comprehensive picture available yet, anywhere, for daily attendance characteristics and visitor profile of park visitors.
The results are of interest to anyone following and analyzing theme parks, attractions, and resorts in China.
- Annual attendance is over 8 million.
- There are some surprising results. For example, seasonal peaks do not correspond with the Golden Week period, as is commonly assumed about Chinese theme parks.
- The design day (average of highest attended days) is well below the 0.6-0.7% average used in planning parks.
- Demographic information paints an interesting result as well, with a majority of female (versus male) visitors, in line with similar trends at Shanghai Disney.
This data is not directly from Chimelong. Data was obtained from China-based third-party data mining companies, using location services tracking, wifi, and GPS, combined with big data extrapolation techniques to obtain a remarkably accurate picture of visitor flows and demographics.